Just as in the case of your car, proper maintenance of your roof can help you avoid untimely replacement. As a result of the harsh weather conditions in Arizona, it is possible that you may not even have the slightest idea that your roof is getting damaged gradually. Unnoticed roof damage will ultimately lead to a situation where replacement or expensive repairs are unavoidable. Here are some simple roof inspection tips to help you keep your roof in proper shape.
In general, it is sufficient to inspect your roof once or twice a year. However, under certain circumstances, it is extremely important to carry out an immediate inspection. Evidence of birds, rats, bees, or other pests is one of the indications of a damaged roof. Also, immediate inspection is a must if you notice storm damage or leakages. Intense hailstorms are common in this region during the monsoon. Inspect your roof immediately after a lightning strike or hailstorm.
- To begin your roof inspection, walk around the exterior of your home and look for signs of aging, sagging, and damage from the ground level. Take notes if any particular area is affected or needs a closer inspection.
- Identify the areas in the roof that have algae, moss, or stacked leaves. These are the areas of your roof that are most likely to cause water damage or leakages.
- While inspecting, look for curled and buckled shingles. As a result of hot air coming out from the attics, shingles tend to curl and buckle away from the roof. This is one of the causes of poor roof ventilation and weather damage.
- One of the most important tasks during your inspection is to look for aged, damaged, and missing shingles. A missing shingle can be a serious concern because it exposes your house to severe weather conditions.
- Inspect your downspouts, roof overhangs, and gutters carefully, and make a note if you come across any signs of rots or open joints.
- Granule loss inspection is an extremely important part of your inspection. Granule loss is an indication of aged shingles that are no longer able to protect your home from inclement weather. You need to replace your shingles that have completely lost their texture.
- While you are on the rooftop, don’t forget to thoroughly inspect the counter flashing. This is a waterproof strip installed in places that need additional protection from moisture. Make a note of cracked, shrinking, and damaged sealants near the edges of the metal strip. In the case of a deteriorated seal, your roof is extremely susceptible to water damage.
- Look for water penetration signs under your roof if you have an attic.
After the completion of your roof inspection, review all the findings thoroughly. In case there was any major area of concern, don’t waste any time to contact an experienced Phoenix roofing company. Always remember that stress-free roof maintenance is all about addressing the minor problems before they turn out to be disasters.